Saturday, March 6, 2010

And so the plot thickens, or not so much

Travis and I braved the rainy weather and drove our way to Hollywood to go see "Alice and Wonderland" at the El Capitan. To start off I was emailed the road closures and told to exit on Highland and park at the Hollywood and Highland structure, I did not expect as much traffic as there was and then we we finally made it to that effing structure they had decided to close it. Finally finding a janky ass parking lot we walked over to the El Cap, and the streets were so crowded. Now I tried to go in not expecting much because I was hearing ver mixed reviews. We took our seats got our popcorn bucket and the movie started I was aware this wasn't a classic Alice and Wonderland it was more representative of the books after Alice's first trip and of course it being a Burton telling would be different.

The graphics weren't bad but the darkness of the film tone combined with putting on 3-d glasses made the film uber dark and at times hard to see. There were a few of the typical 3d gags but not overdone, and some of the scenery was amazing. Now onto the bad I am a fan of Burton and Depp and usually feel they can't do much wrong. Mad Hatter was a mix of Willy Wonka, Sweeney Todd, and Jack Sparrow all in one and the accent Johnny adapted to the character was tough to decipher. The young girl who played Alice I felt was just drab, kind of one note and stale and the tone of her voice made me bored.It was a very lackluster story where I found myself just waiting for something to really happen and the build up to events were very underwhelming. Trav and I both left the theatre feeling a lil akward, like we just had witnessed an individuals very embarassing moment, which for Tim Burton I feel like this film was. Better luck next time!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a HUGE Tim Burton fan but I've also heard very mixed reviews. I can't wait to see it but I don't want to be disappointed. Carley is gonna wear her Alice dress to the theater! You're only 5 once, right?! I just can't tell her no.

    ReplyDelete